The LVMH Prize
The LVMH group, to which KENZO belongs, has long been motivated by a “passion for creativity”. This year, the Group launches and inaugurates the LVMH prize to support and celebrate young fashion designers, of which our own creative directors Carol Lim and Humberto Leon are part of the jury.
Photo: (Left to right) Delphine Arnault (Louis Vuitton), Bernard Arnault (LVMH Chairman), Humberto Leon and Carol Lim.
The LVMH Prize competition is open to young fashion designers from any country in the world under 40, who have produced at least two collections. In November 2013, applications opened for the inaugural LVMH prize. The LVMH prize committee then selected a longlist of thirty designers, who presented their collections at LVMH headquarters at Avenue Montaigne to a panel of 42 international industry experts over the 26th and 27th February 2014. These industry experts then compiled a shortlist of 12 finalists, who will meet the jury of LVMH creative directors for the judging day on 28th May in Paris.
The jury consists of
- Carol Lim and Humberto Leon
- Nicolas Ghèsquière (Louis Vuitton)
- Marc Jacobs
- Phoebe Philo (Céline)
- Raf Simons (Dior)
- Riccardo Tisci (Givenchy)
- Delphine Arnault (Executive VP of Louis Vuitton)
- Jean-Paul Claverie (Adviser to LVMH Chairman Bernard Arnault)
- Pierre-Yves Roussel (President of the LVMH Fashion division)
To aid in their creative development, the winner of the LVMH prize will win:
- A grant of 300,000 euros
- Personalized technical and financial support from the Group for a 12-month period following the LVMH Prize award. This support covers all the areas of expertise that are critical to a young fashion brand (intellectual property, sourcing, production and distribution, image and advertising, marketing, etc.).
The twelve finalists in the running for the inaugural LVMH prize are:
- Atto (Julien Dossena, French, working in Paris)
- CG (Chris Gelinas, Canadian, working in New York)
- Gabriele Colangelo, Italian, working in Milan)
- Hood by Air (Shayne Olivier, American, working in New York)
- Jaquemus (Simon Porte Jaquemus, French, working in Paris)
- Miuniku (Tina and Nikita Sutradhar, Indian, working in Mumbai)
- Simone Rocha (Simone Rocha, Irish, working in London)
- Suno (Erin Beatty and Max Osterweis, American, working in New York)
- Thomas Tait (Thomas Tait, Canadian, working in London)
- Tillmann Lauterbach (Tillman Lauterbach, German, working in Paris)
- Tim Coppens (Tim Coppens, Belgian, working in New York)
- Vika Gavinskaya (Vika Gavinskaya, Russian, working in Moscow)
To learn more about each designer and to watch their presentation video, click here.
Stay tuned to KENZINE to find out who will emerge the winner on the 28th May, 2014!